- 4-6 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions, cut into large pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
Place the cut onions, cherry tomatoes, oregano, 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves (whole) and salt and pepper to taste on a small roasting pan. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the tomatoes, onions and herbs, and toss to coat.
Place the pan in the oven and roast about 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and blistered. Remove from oven and pour into a medium to large size sauce pan. Turn the burner on medium-low. Add the minced garlic and chicken stock, and remainder of fresh basil.
Using a counter top blender or an immersion blender, blend the vegetables to the consistency you prefer – chunky, thin, or in between. Once it’s blended the way you like it, add the parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Stir to blend and heat through. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Yields: approx. 4 servings