A Permaculture Design Certificate Course with Wayne Weiseman
Co-Hosted by the Accokeek Foundation and ECO City Farms
We invite our food and farming community to come together for this unique permaculture course geared towards building our collective capacity as well as our interrelationships in the DC/MD/VA region. The goal of our time together is to strengthen skills that can help us to be more effective in creating more sustainable farms and food system. The Permaculture Design course is an internationally recognized 72-hour course of study where participants will learn about sustainable food production, renewable energy, water harvesting, natural building, earthworks, and animal husbandry, as well as biodynamics–all geared to provide the skills to practice permaculture on any scale, from a city lot to a suburban yard or country homestead.
This course is rewarding and challenging for anyone from beginners to those with years of experience in sustainability, horticulture or environmental stewardship. Participants will gain a deepened understanding and appreciation for the environment and sustainability; be able to forge a path to a career in sustainable food production; or to prepare for a post-carbon world. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will also earn their Permaculture Design Certificate. The last day of the course will have a particular focus on Biodynamics.
The course will be taught at the Accokeek Foundation, with pre-scheduled visits to ECO City Farm.
On most days, the class will run from 9am-5:45pm, with the exception of three days, where the class will run 9am-9pm. Dinner will be provided on these evenings.
- Comprehensive, holistic training presented by Wayne Weiseman, director of The Permaculture Project and certified by movement founder Bill Mollison
- Permaculture principles related to sustainable living systems, food production, home design, eco-construction, energy conservation and generation, forest gardening, etc.
- Dig in with a hands-on, design-build project on-site related to rain-water harvesting, irrigation, aquaculture and pond ecosystems
- Animal husbandry, including pastured poultry systems and sheep and cattle grazing using Holistic Management
- Edible forest gardening including mushroom cultivation and medicinal herbs
About the Instructor
Wayne Weiseman is certified by The Permaculture Institute of Australia as an instructor of the Permaculture Design Certificate Course. He is also certified by the American Institute of Architecture and the American Society of Landscape Architects to teach continuing education in Permaculture. He has worked as a builder and contractor, herbalist, renewable energy expert and farmer for 25 years. For many years he managed a land-based, self-reliant community project combining organic crop/food production, ecologically built shelter and renewable energy. Learn more about Wayne Weiseman and his work at www.permacultureproject.com
Class Dates and Times
- Saturday, March 23 – 9am-5:45pm
- Sunday, March 24 – 9am-9pm
- Monday, March 25 – 9am-9pm
- Tuesday, March 26 – 9am-5:45pm (at ECO City Farms)
- Wednesday, March 27 – 9am-5:45pm
- Thursday, March 28 – 9am-9pm
- Friday, March 29 – 9am-5:45pm
- Saturday, March 30 – 9am-5:45pm
Course Application and Costs
Course Cost: $250 per participant (includes meals)
Members of the Food and Farming community are strongly encouraged to participate in this unique course with at least two delegates from your farm or organization to ensure knowledge share at your sites.
In an effort to make this course accessible to all, serving our food and farming community, the course will cost $250 per participant. Payment is due by March 15, 2013.
Participation requirements include a signed agreement to participate fully in the course, to complete the course in its entirety, and to continue the learning process by attending two follow up networking events, continuing to build our momentum collectively.
For questions and more information please contact Molly Meehan or call 301-283-2113.
Translation service are available, please contact us to coordinate. Traducción al español está disponible, si necesita estos servicios por favor díganosdurante el registro. Pongase en contacto con Molly Meehan en firstname.lastname@example.org o 301-283-2113 ext 32.
The application period for this class is now closed. Accepted applicants will be notified by email, and will receive instructions on how to register at that time.